Monday 14 November 2011

DAY THIRTEEN: the big bad scary double?

DAY THIRTEEN: lucky number 13

CLASS ONE: Woke up yesterday (sunday) morning and my first thought was "F my life - I don't want to go to Yoga". I wasn't angry anymore with the yoga - I actually WANTED to go back - it's just my mind and body felt they rather sleep off the hangover - not sweat it out. Well - 10 minutes later, I was up and out the door - only to realize, Leah had my car keys! "F my life - I'm not walking to Yoga". Well, 20 minutes later, I was walking up the stairs to the studio! Pretty sure Colleen's exact words were "God Bless You, God Bless You" when she asked if I had gone to the WINE and FOOD fest the night before - haha - yes ma'am and quite certain the vino was still running through my veins!

Walked my tired butt in to the hot room and chose to take class at the very back hiding behind a massive pillar - nothing to do with wanting to be out of Colleen's sight (well, maybe a little) - but I just wasn't sure if I was going to have to leave the room running (or vomiting) at some point! Well, it turns out, I practice better as a drunk! Who knew? haha, I'm only kidding, please don't go taking class drunk - I do not want to be held responsible for that one! But honestly, I had one of the HAPPIEST and HEALTHIEST classes of my life. My mind was so clear, my body was calm, and my breathing was easy. I felt great. I felt strong. I felt AMAZING. At the end of class, in dead body pose, let me tell you, I was dead (but in a good way). I could have stayed in savasana all afternoon until the 4pm class I was so relaxed. I didn't even know who I was. And I liked it.

INTERMISSION: made a delicious fruit smoothie & most amazing omelette of life (cheese, onions, tomatoes, asparagus, avocado, all topped with crumbled feta) - did laundry, napped, hydrated.

CLASS TWO: I get by with a little help from my friends.
Lucky for me, Mike's roommate, Ton, and the girl he's dating, Jenny, decided they wanted to try BIKRAM during the 4pm class with me, taught by Claire. Good thing, because I needed motivation to get my butt back to the studio. So we all signed in and got our spots in the hot room - I was happy for them and their bodies that they were taking class - but on a selfish note, I was thankful they were there to help me have a strong class. There was no way I was going to take it easy or fall out of position in front of them (even though it's ok to do so) - I needed to set a good example. And I'm pretty sure I did. I felt even stronger than my morning class - my energy levels were soaring! Literally. In full locust pose, it was easy flying. But by the time the second set of that posture came in, I had to turn over on my back. Opening my rib cage like that got my heart beating so fast my chest was cramping. INHALE - EXHALE - INHALE - EXHALE - heart slowly calmed down and i was back in by second set of bow.

I left the studio with the clearest mind and the happiest soul - positive energy flowing through my body. My YOGI BRAIN had returned; taking those two days off was exactly what I needed to fall back in love with Bikram. Everything is as it should be - goodnight lucky number 13 :)

OH SIDENOTE to Colleen and Claire: thank you for two amazing and motivating classes, but PLEASE re-frain from referring to CINNAMON BUNS during rabbit pose - I spent the entire day craving one !!!

3 comments:

  1. Lol! Q: How do you get a Canadian to do Rabbit pose with correct form?
    A: Tell them to roll up like a Cinnamon bun!
    I first heard the Cinnamon bun analogy when I attended a Craig Villani seminar - Craig was Director of Teacher Training when I certified as a Bikram teacher. He has a soft spot for Canadians :) One of these days I will have him conduct a seminar at BYO. We are not ready for him yet- his Awkward Part 2 is one minute long!
    You are doing so great, Naomi :) You are glowing - keep going and allow yourself the occasional Cinnamon bun, it's good for the soul.
    xx Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! so great to have friends drop by class, extra motivation knowing they are coming and will be there...and awesome to have them there struggling with you (not that i'm looking at them - at least I try so hard not to but I do know they are there) Yay friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx claire! :) i had another great class tonight! heather, yay friends indeed! speaking of, let's go for tea/coffee after one of our classes! :)

    ReplyDelete